Sunday, July 21, 2013


Bringing to you the featured ( and completed ) anime, drama and otome of the week! Plus news of an unexpected live action?! 


I finished watching Air ( TV ) yesterday. While not perfect, or anywhere close to a technical rating of 9 or 10, this anime captured my heart. The enjoyment level is simply too high to exist on a scale. It's a slice-of-life and manages to retain that feeling throughout the episodes despite the supernatural occurrences. Kyoto Animation once again takes a KEY visual novel and transforms it into a heartrending tale that touches people. It adapted KEY's first visual novel, Kanon, into an anime, followed by Air and then Clannad, which arguably has the most success out of the three ( all adapted in order of the original release of the visual novels ).


Kunisaki Yukito is on a journey in search of the Winged Maiden who was bound to the sky centuries ago, after hearing an old childhood tale from his mother. As Yukito shows his puppet show to people in an attempt to make some money, he finds himself in a small town in which he did not expect to stay very long. However, when he meets an unusual girl named Misuzu, things take a drastic turn as he is invited to stay with her. 

By staying in the quaint town, Yukito soon becomes friends with the locals. As he gets to know them better, he learns of their problems and decides to help, putting his search for the Winged Maiden on hold. With his search on hold, and his growing attachment to Misuzu and the small town, will Yukito ever find the Winged Maiden, or is she closer than he thought?

In my honest opinion, Air touches upon people's relationships, especially one of that between a mother and her child. While it does indeed have romance, it's very subtle. 

Also, the anime moved in "arcs" ( at least, that's how I feel ). First, it touched upon Yukito's meeting with Mizusu and then we focus on Yano, followed by Yanagi and solve their problems before moving on to Mizusu. I cried at certain parts of Yanagi's arc but not as hard as I did for Kanna's arc. I found myself cursing human stupidity and greed involving a young woman still a child at heart in their petty wars, trying to use her power for their own benefits. Did they not realise that she had feelings? That she wasn't merely an "it" but a "she"? 

The tragic ending was tragic. 

Tragedy is all I seem to be watching these days. Either that, or I cry too easily. I mean I was just sobbing past midnight thinking about everything that had happened. 

But I seem to be giving the wrong idea. Certainly, Air is tragic, but it has this witty comedy that just makes you laugh. Mizusu's seiyuu is also very talented. She made Mizusu just as cute as she looked and for the first two episodes, I was just spazzing about how cute the blonde was. She never was annoying, just really really clumsy and adorable. I wanted to hug her ; she's like the sister I never had. It's really that her seiyuu passed away though TT__TT She had a lot of talent. The characters are all wonderful as well. You find it hard to dislike any of them because they all have personalities that aren't flat, but very vibrant. 

So this is just me being me and talking about the anime that made the most impact on me as a series this week and that's that. Moving on to drama >.<

Itazura na Kiss ~ LOVE IN TOKYO's run has finally ended and while the ending was a little rushed, I enjoyed this version so much. 

Irie --> my feels
Kotoko --> me

Look at them. Just look. Does it look like Furukawa Yuki is ten years older than Miki Honoka? No. But it's a fact. 

Before I start spazzing and trying to convince you that this drama is the simply perfection, this version was wonderful. It represented exactly what Itazura na Kiss was and the acting was awesome. 

Miki Honoka played Kotoko perfectly. While in the beginning it was a little stiff, she relaxed and moulded into the role perfectly, as did Furukawa Yuki and our beloved Kin-chan, Yamada Yuki. I think she did a great job of portraying a Kotoko who is not completely dumb and exaggerated. It's hard to believe she's 16. Furukawa Yuki, as well, for giving us an Irie who, despite being cold, eventually warms up and doesn't make you want to slap him,  instead think about his feelings as well. And Yamada Yuki, for being the Kin-chan we know and will always love. 

In short, I felt for all the three characters for the first time ever and truly felt for each of their situations. Plus Kin-chan wasn't annoying as it got to the end. And they made the part where he shook Irie's hand in the last episode really funny. I haven't laughed this hard since Tokyo DOGS and Hana Kimi ( for drama, that is ). 

So this version is a definite must-watch. It's refreshing, despite the fact that most of the viewers are very familiar with the storyline. This is the first time that the mom hasn't stood out as much as Kotoko. The dad is also played by one of my favourite older generation actors and his relationship with Kotoko was also very developed. I found myself crying in Episode 14 and 15, especially in 15 because Irie's mom apologised to Kotoko and her dad talked to her very seriously about how he wanted the best for her. 

While 1996's Irie will always be the most handsome in my heart, this version's Irie beat everyone else in the portrayal of character. I cannot emphasise enough on this. I forgot to mention that 1996's Kotoko and Irie made surprise cameos in the drama. I was just O///O

I hope there'll be a second season. While certain events didn't happen and some things were changed significantly, it exceeded my expectations and had me hooked right to the end. And that's the end of my talk about drama. 

We're now onto otome ( because I'm a hopeless romantic who thinks she should live her life surrounded by bishies like that girl what's-her-name in Brothers Conflict ). 

I was suddenly inspired to download a lot of otome. The only comprehensive list I found was on this Tumblr which listed a lot of great otome ( RE-alistair, Hakuouki, Harvest Moon ) but then I found the Lemma Soft Forums which have an unimaginable number of great otome as well as visual novels.
I played two really great games - A Troll's Fairy Tale and The Dolls' Stories.


The first one is one in which the character plays a fiery troll ( Acacia ) whose behaviour isn't exactly helping her find a mate. She's already 25 so her mother is bugging her about her mate. I love the side characters, her sister and also her mom's personality ( which can be quite annoying and scary sometimes ). Not to mention that Aeron was surprisingly unpredictable and an annoying little pest ( because I thought he'd be the typical nice guy but surprise, surprise ). What I really like is how developed her backstory, as well her mother's attitude towards love is. There are only two routes to follow ; Edavine and Damine. Damine is the Unicorn Prince and Edavine is a fairy. While one would initially laugh it off because it sounds just too fantasy-like and childish, think again and try it. 

This has one of the most unique gameplays and development I've ever seen in an otome and I really enjoyed it. Following the routes correctly isn't much of a problem because it's pretty straightforward so if you're used to to otome, then it shouldn't be a problem. I think I managed to have a fully enjoyable experience because I played Damine's route first. The first option doesn't really hint at which character's route you'll be following ( it's a very important choice ) so I chose one which I thought would make the character more rebellious or something xD Damine's route was full of drama - drama, drama, drama and more drama. It was infuriating, confusing and that's exactly what I think the developers wanted us to feel. It made me feel like "I shouldn't chase after bad boys anymore". While playing this, I discovered part of Acacia's past and why her mother is like that. But Damine's route only had 2 CG and well, I was in for a surprise when I played Edavine's route. 

Edavine's route was definitely the most best. While Aeron, the third guy ( also an little evil piece of shit ) was tolerable in Damine's route, he was a pain in the neck in Edavine's and I just hated his guts so much. Edavine is a sweet guy, but he isn't all sugar and sparkles, I like his darkness ( I mean skin colour and I'M NOT BEING RACIST ) *swoon* and his relationship progressed a lot more smoothly with Acacia as compared to Davine. It was really calming unlike the rush in Damine's route which involved a lot of cry, run, cry, run, scream, cry, run, chase and so on ( but it wasn't that bad ). Also, Acacia's past was more touching and well, the ending was way nicer with the added bonus of 5 swoonworthy CG. 

Aeron is still a kill-worthy idiot. 

Shockingly, but not so shocking, Edavine had the most votes in a popularity poll with Aeron having the lowest, I think ( HA! SERVES YOU RIGHT ). Acacia and Damine tied <3 

Basically, the point of this is to convince you to go and download it and then play it. It's worth the time and Damine isn't as bad as I made him out to be ( if you can tolerate drama, then you're good ). 

The second one is "The Dolls' Tale". You choose either the female or male doll to play ( obviously I chose the male one -.- ). This is another unique otome where you type in the responses to carry on with the gameplay. The keywords "hints" are given so that the player can carry on but it's really fun since it's interactive. You can type any kind of shiz as long as the keywords are included so I harassed my little Hakuren ( the name I gave him ) a bit too much.


Bascially, the main character is a puppeteer and when the doll is created, you get to name him. Hakuren, as I named him and will call him, is an adorable little kid who makes me question whether I'm actually a pedo but never mind that, he's simply too cute. He asks too many questions, worries too much and is simply the cutest guy I've ever seen in an otome. 

I'm amazed that this managed to make me cry a little but the ending make me go "aww" and just scream with happiness because, well, it's something that only this story can accomplish. The art and animation are great and we actually have comic book like action presented to us as well so it's really entertaining. It's kind of short but well, all good things have to come to an end. This otome is a short and sweet play so it's definitely recommended. And that's the end of my otome ramble. 

Finally, on to the last part of this very long post. 

A LIVE ACTION OF DANSHI KOUKOUSEI NO NICHIJOU HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED!
( I took it upon myself to ambitiously reupload the video on YouTube )


I don't know how to react to this or how I should feel about it. I'm a little skeptical because carrying out gag comedy in anime and real life are two very different things but this is Japan so I'm expecting a lot from this. It's funny how they started off the trailer with Tadakuni realising that Yoshitake and Hidenori hadn't actually changed into his sister's skirts and that he was the only one who had been dumb enough to actually wear it. They have also introduced a new character, and from what I can tell, she is Tadakuni's potential love interest. What do you guys think? 

We'll just have to wait and see when it's released on the 12th of October. 

And with that, this is the end of the post and you can go off and do whatever you want. Or you could follow my blog and give me something to be happy about. 

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

- Copyright © 2013 『Code;Otaku』 - Hataraku Maou-sama! - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -